Friday, February 25, 2011

Women & Men as Managers

I was reading the below article on HBR blog tonight called ‘The Words Many Managers Are Afraid To Say’.

 

http://blogs.hbr.org/hill-lineback/2011/02/the-words-many-managers-are-af.html 

Although my working experience is still small (9 years so far), always comparing to the years to come, and being employed by 5 different companies, I have worked under the supervising of many managers. With some we had a success team, with others not. 

 

Going back, what I realize now, is that men managers around 30-35 years old, are more arrogant and connect their masculinity with the status of their work position. They feel unsafe and are afraid to ask for their subordinates’ help, even if they are not familiar with a case. Most of the times they don’t accept their mistakes and all this leads to a bad team, which will soon lose members…

 

On the other hand, women managers are not so unsecure. They have to deal with sexist comments referring to the way a woman is promoted, but they are better team players and recognize their mistakes. They know when to apologize and this doesn’t decrease their femininity. The problem here is that women tend not to get along with other women…

 

 

 

Unfortunately, despite of the sex, there are only a few managers that acknowledge their mistakes and their ignorance in some projects, know how and when to say ‘I’m sorry’ and finish their sentence with ‘what can I do to correct it’. This doesn’t make you less a man/woman or less a manager.

 

I hope in future, I won’t forget my own advices, and if I do so, feel free to remind me this post! :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment